ForumWales - The Welsh Forum
Welcome to ForumWales / Croeso i ForumWales
Living in Wales? Interested in Wales? Just want to talk about Wales? ForumWales will help you meet others just like you!

To join in, simply register free of charge and start communicating. Discussion in both English and Welsh is encouraged.

If you have any questions for us, email via ForumLead@ForumWales.com.
Home Forum Resources Store Help About

Is this an offensive comment or not?

Learning Welsh? Want some help? Questions about the language?
Come inside! Croeso i dosbarth!

Moderators: Moderators, Executive Team

Is this an offensive comment or not?

Postby SammyHolden on Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:00 pm

My dad told me he was always told by his farther to say (and im not sure of the spelling so ill write it as it sounds in english) Yacky dar, when greeting a welsh person, yet another person told me it was highly offensive to the welsh, and when trying to find out what it means found a website which had a paticualr comment speaking ill of the welsh and she ended it, "yacky dar to the welsh Wa**ers".... I've tried to figure out the meaning and wonder if its good health? Iechyd da?? Would that be prounouced yacky??

Or is it actually something offensive, the person that used it in her comment spelt it yaki dar.... and if its not offensive why would somone use it in an anti-welsh comment??
"To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research!"

http://www.myspace.com/sammypholden
SammyHolden

Re: Is this an offensive comment or not?

Postby Hazel on Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:23 pm

If it is "iechyd da", I can't see why that would be offensive. If it is, I don't want to know. It is very hard trying to talk to people when you never know what new word or phrase is causing offense "this week". PC doesn't appeal to me.
Hazel

Dw i'n perthyn i cwlt uwch o ddynol achos dw i wedi gweld yr albatros!
Hazel
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby SammyHolden on Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:46 pm

Yeah thats what I just cant understand?! iechyd da is the nearest i can find to what it could mean, but I dont know much so maybe it is somthing else... hopefully someone can clarify for sure... id hate to offend someone saying it.

SammyHolden

Postby Hazel on Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:50 pm

There is another phrase that looks like it. I cannot spell it but Arwen can when she sees our post. I think it starts with "ych". Not an insulting phrase so much as "well, fooey on you". Like, "that's not very nice" or "that tastes bad". I'm not sure. Let someone who knows tell it.
Hazel

Hazel
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby SammyHolden on Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:07 pm

I hope it isnt cause im aware its the only welsh my dads knows and hes been saying it to passers by for years #-o he'd be horrified if its offensive! he said his dad taught em it when he was young!! :oops:

SammyHolden

Postby Mynwy on Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:14 pm

'yacky da' is originally from 'iechyd da' (good health). You would normally hear it for 'cheers' (when you make a toast with a drink). The 'yacky da' can sometimes be taken in offense if it sounds like the person saying it is mocking the Welsh language - this is because it is sometimes considered a 'stereotype' phrase... "yacky da boyo" does not generally go down well in most parts of Wales! If you pronounce 'iechyd da' properly, no one is likely to take offense (yeah-CHid da - remember the 'loch' sound for the CH).

I think the phrase you are thinking of, Hazel, is 'Ych â fi', which basically means 'yuck' and can be used to describe virtually anything unpleasant.

...just don't get them confused and say 'ych â fi' when you mean 'iechyd da'! :wink:
Now also available on Facebook!
http://www.myspace.com/dawnswraig
Mynwy
Elite Veteran
Elite Veteran

Postby OwainCymro on Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:22 pm

I am certain that it is iechyd da, which does mean good health and is not offensive in any way to us unless as on that particular website it is being used mockingly/sarcastically/insultingly. Iechyd da is one of the few very well known sayings that even those of 'other nationalities' would have heard of (but not able to spell obviously).

Sorry Mynwy, it took me so long to write my post that you got in before me and explained it much better too :)
http://www.johnnyowen.com
WELSH WARRIORS

Fe Godwn ni eto
OwainCymro
Veteran
Veteran

Postby SammyHolden on Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:01 pm

Oh! I'm very glad its not offensive (and so is my dad lol) :lol: I was sure it was good health, as dad said he thought it was good something but seeing it used in poor context and being told it was offensive had me worried. It does seem to be widely used as a mocking phrase by the small minded idiots who dislike the welsh for whatever reason. (Disputes between countries annoy me so much)

Thanks for settling my mind on that one!

SammyHolden

Postby Hazel on Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:10 pm

That's it, Mynwy. I never can remember how to spell it. So, I just say "ugh". And, I've certainly been mis-pronouncing 'iechyd da'. I thought the stress was on the 'e'. Surely glad you straightened that out.
Hazel

Hazel
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby Mynwy on Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:22 pm

the stress is on the e, Hazel, I'm confusing you by using capitals for the CH - I do that to make it stand out as a 'special' letter. Would it be better if I put the 'specials' (CH, DD, LL, etc) in bold instead, or could that be confused with indicating the stress too? (I don't usually try to indicate the stress at the moment, unless asked)
Now also available on Facebook!
http://www.myspace.com/dawnswraig
Mynwy
Elite Veteran
Elite Veteran

Postby Hazel on Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:29 pm

You did fine, Mynwy. I'm easily confused. As long as I can ask, I have it straight now.
Hazel

Hazel
Founding Member
Founding Member

Return to Welsh Language