ForumWales - The Welsh Forum
Welcome to ForumWales / Croeso i ForumWales
Living in Wales? Interested in Wales? Just want to talk about Wales? ForumWales will help you meet others just like you!

To join in, simply register free of charge and start communicating. Discussion in both English and Welsh is encouraged.

If you have any questions for us, email via ForumLead@ForumWales.com.
Home Forum Resources Store Help About

Tad or Dad

West Wales discussion.

Moderators: Moderators, Executive Team

Tad or Dad

Postby curious2 on Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:54 pm

Is it common in Wales for Welsh speaking and/or English speaking children to call their father Tad instead of Dad ? I Know welsh children often call their grandfather Tad-cu (in South W) but am just curious if Tad is used alot.
Or are there any other common Tad alternatives in use?

Diolch
curious2

Re: Tad or Dad

Postby Sionned on Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:58 pm

Well, Tad is the Welsh word for father, so it is entirely reasonable for Welsh-speaking children to call their father "Tad", anyway. I don't know about English-speaking children in Wales.
Please read the site rules so we're all a happy family.
Sionned

Postby Mynwy on Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:33 pm

yes, Tad or Tada (daddy) is the norm, certainly for children of Welsh speaking parents. you will hear Dad in certain sentences because there are occasions in Welsh when the t becomes a d
e.g. prynais i hwn am Dad (I bought this for Dad)
but actually, they are still using Tad, not saying Dad as an English word.
Now also available on Facebook!
http://www.myspace.com/dawnswraig
Mynwy
Elite Veteran
Elite Veteran

Postby sianco on Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:01 am

I've never heard anyone calling their father "Tad" - and I've lived in three Welsh-speaking areas all my life.
"Dad", "Dadi" and, occasionally, "Tada" are the only ones I've heard
sianco
Gold Veteran
Gold Veteran

Postby Mynwy on Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:19 am

an oversight on my part, I should have said here in Gwynedd it's the norm. sorry, I was very tired last night when I posted. My apologies.
Now also available on Facebook!
http://www.myspace.com/dawnswraig
Mynwy
Elite Veteran
Elite Veteran

Postby sianco on Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:32 pm

Do you mean "Beth wyt ti isho i swper, Tad?" and "Ddwedais i wrth Tad bod y gath wedi marw" ?

My husband has never heard it and he's always lived in Gwynedd.

Is it a long "a" like in "tad" ("father") - "Mae tad Siôn wedi torri ei goes" or a short or a short one as in "Dad" - "Mae dy ginio di'n barod, Dad" ?

When I was small, living in south west Wales, I was jealous of children in the north who called their father "Dad". The choice we had was "Dat" which sounded old-fashioned and country-bumpkinish and "Dadi" which sounded babyish. "Dad" was much more with-it!

Come to think of it, I wonder from where "Dad" has come from in English? It's more natural in Welsh - from "tad", but how did "father" become "Dad"? Is it because it's one of the first sounds babies make?

Anyway, I heard it went very well on Saturday night, Mynwy - no wonder you were tired!
sianco
Gold Veteran
Gold Veteran

Postby Cefin gwlad on Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:28 pm

sianco wrote:Come to think of it, I wonder from where "Dad" has come from in English? It's more natural in Welsh - from "tad", but how did "father" become "Dad"? Is it because it's one of the first sounds babies make?
Yes.

The Online Etymology Dictionary notes that dad is first recorded in written English from from 1500, but is almost certainly much older:
from child's speech, nearly universal and probably prehistoric (cf. Welsh tad, Ir. daid, Czech, L., Gk. tata, Lith. tete, Skt. tatah all of the same meaning).
Ry'n ni'n barod am doriad y wawr!
Cefin gwlad

Postby sianco on Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:41 pm

Aha - that's right!

Also: Compact Oxford English Dictionary:
— ORIGIN perhaps imitative of a child’s first syllables da, da.

I never thought it was fair that the children always said "dad" before "mam"! :D

It also appears that "tat-" was used for "father" in Indo-European, long, long ago.
sianco
Gold Veteran
Gold Veteran

Postby Cefin gwlad on Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:19 pm

sianco wrote:I never thought it was fair that the children always said "dad" before "mam"! :D

They may say "dad(a)", but "mam(a)" is what babies vocalize long before they can talk -- when feeding at their mothers' breast: hence mamma (Latin for breast), mammal, and all the rest of the associated words.
Ry'n ni'n barod am doriad y wawr!
Cefin gwlad

Return to West Wales